Xylitol… have you heard of it?
Probably not, but it is one of the newest mainstream artificial sweeteners used in the country.
Xylitol has been embraced by the dental community because it doesn’t cause cavities and even reduces the salivary population of S. mutans (the bacteria that causes decay). That means eating Xylitol-sweetened food can actually reduce the number of cavities you might get!!
So far this sounds pretty great, right?!
It is great but we would like to make you aware of the effect it can have on the four-legged members of the family — your dog.
As great as Xylitol is for humans, if enough is consumed by a dog, it can cause a severe insulin reaction resulting in vomiting, lethargy, seizures, and even death. And because of their scavenging nature, this is a real danger to your pet. The amount of Xylitol in four pieces of chewing gum is sufficient to trigger a reaction.
In addition to chewing gum, this popular sweetener is found in mouthwashes, baked goods, candies, and many other products. So it is best to keep these items out of “scavenging” range of the dog. And if your pet is unlucky enough to get his furry paws on a product containing Xylitol, you should contact your veterinarian immediately.
I hope you find this information useful.
Republished by Blog Post Promoter